Hoad Monument is a 100ft tower at the top of Hoad Hill to the north-east of Ulverston. The monument was erected in 1850 and commemorates Sir John Barrow who was born in Ulverston in 1764. Although it was designed to look like a lighthouse it is not and has never had a functioning light.
The local name for the monument is “The Pepper Pot” and was used by Lord Haw-Haw during one of his propaganda broadcasts of World War II when he warned the residents of Ulverston that the German Air Force would bomb their ‘pepper pot’.
The walk up to the monument is short but steep in places but well worth the effort as the view from the top is fantastic! You can even go up to the top of the monument when the flag is flying.
The original watercolour painting is 360mm x 260mm and is available either framed or unframed.
This image is also available in the following formats:
C5 Limited Edition Card & Envelope
A4 Limited Edition Giclee
A3 Limited Edition Giclee
Limited Edition Size: 100